Saturday, September 10, 2011

White peach cobbler and farewell to summer days



My boyfriend and I had a very long day cheering on our favorite college football team today. By the time we made it home, we were starving. He is always telling me how I keep packing the fridge full of food and then it just gets thrown out. Well, I am not going to let that happen anymore. I've decided to boycott going to the grocery store for the next few weeks before we take our vacation to Hawaii. I've been stockpiling food for months as a result of my failed attempts at extreme couponing. All I ended up doing was spending a bunch of money buying things I don't really need.

My boyfriend goes to the farmer's market every week. This week he brought me home 6 white peaches, being the thoughtful guy that he is. Peaches ripen very fast and last week we threw out the ones we bought. I did have to cut out some of the bad spots, but you'd never know it after how delicious this cobbler turned out!! The white peaches flesh is slightly more tart and tangy than the red havens I canned earlier this summer, but they sure are luscious. I got this recipe out of the good old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Get some peaches of your own and whip this up now!

1 Cup Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar
1- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 Cup butter
2/3 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 egg
1/4 milk ( I used 1/4 Cup heavy cream because I wanted to use mine up.)
The recipe also calls for water to be added to the peaches but I didn't see that when I was making it and mine still turned out.

Stir together flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder. Cut in butter set aside

In a saucepan, combine peaches and 2/3 c sugar and cornstarch and heat till bubbling.

Stir together egg and cream and add to flour mixture till moistened.

Dump peach mixture to baking dish and drop cobbler dough onto the peaches in globs. It will be sticky but try to make an even layer over the peaches. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Make sure your oven is preheated!!

Serve this up with vanilla ice cream!!
Its now September and we won't have many more beautiful days like this and when winter's chill is in the air, this cobbler will remind me of summer's last days!

No comments:

Post a Comment