Saturday, December 3, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Its always this time of year when the weather is cold, I want something to warm me up.  I love soups!  When I was in college, I bought Campbell's condensed soups like they were going out of style.  Who knew you could make your own for a fraction of the price?  The more I got into cooking, I made the basics, Chicken noodle, vegetable....My Grandma always made cream of broccoli, but I could never master the milk and butter part till later in life.  I've honed my soup making abilities and here is a great soup for anyone. 

I haven't been blogging because I was on vacation for 2 weeks and I am still trying to catch up.  Today was one of the first days I have had to just relax and I admit, I am still in my pajamas and it is after 1 pm.  While on vacation, I met a girl who was telling me all about detoxing and how she has so much energy now because she is eating raw foods and smoothies and she lost 25 pounds to boot.  She suggested I read Clean by Alejandro Junger.  When I got home I immediately bought it off Amazon and read it in 2 days.  I can't go into it whole hog.  I cheat, I eat candy, dairy and tacos....its the holidays and my will power has left me...

So I got out my Jack Lalanne and started juicing for my morning meal, have tried a couple of the recipes for the lunches and tried to stick to salad for the most part.  It is surprising to me that just after a week of doing this, I have not struggled to get up for work last week, I am notorious for snoozing through my alarm.  In fact I woke before the alarm went off, I have not had to take an allergy pill this week for sinus pain, headache, constant sneezing and runny nose.  And I haven't had the 3pm crash where I feel like I am going to fall asleep at my desk.   

I feel good, and supposably the rewards keep on coming, but like I say, I cheat at this but, give me a break, its the holidays!  I do want to see what other benefits I can reap from eating fresh greens, fruits and less wheat and gluten.  Today I tried my own version of Butternut Squash soup which I still had hanging around the kitchen from the tail end of the farmer's market.  I read several recipes on online blogs and the 2 in the Clean book but synthesized my own recipe.

1 large butternut squash peeled and chopped and cooked for about an 50 minutes at 450 degrees
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large red onion chopped
4 stalks celery diced
2 cloves minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 lite coconut milk
salt and pepper and the tiniest of pinches of nutmeg (optional)
small dollop of plain greek yogurt for garnish and 1 leaf of cilantro

In a dutch oven or stockpot, drizzle oil till warm add celery and onion cook till almost tender and add the garlic.  Pour in chicken (or vegetable broth) 2 cups at a time till you reach desired consistency and bring to a boil. Turn off heat.  With an immersion blender puree the veggies in the pot or use your blender/food processor....I prefer the tiny chunks in mine, seems a bit more rustic!  Stir in coconut milk and add garnish. Yum.  And remember kids, Butternut Squash has a whole host of health benefits, such as being high in fiber, low in fat to aid in weight loss, potassium, folate, omega 3s to prevent strokes, Vitamin B6, Beta Carotene/Vitamin A and Magnesium.  Be sure to check out the book Clean by Alejandro Junger, some reviews say your body's natural healing abilities will be restored, insulin levels regulated, and your liver detoxified, and we don't have to suffer any longer, nor feel tired, sick and weighed down with the sludge of modern life.

Don't forget this is DELICIOUS!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found Clean! That soup sounds so yummy, thanks for sharing.

    The holidays can def. be a hard time to do a detox. It's great that you are getting such great benefits from your experimenting. Perhaps you can try again in the new year without any cheats, and see even more!

    It's amazing how what we eat effects us in so many ways, like allergies.

    It's so wonderful to hear you are feeling better :) Keep up the good work and feel free to email me with any questions. Happy Holidays!


    Cheers, Meghan
    Clean Community Ambassador
    Meghan@cleanprogram.com

    ReplyDelete