Friday, December 23, 2011

Cranberry Orange Scones


I had never had a scone until my recent vacation to Hawaii in November.  While we were on Maui for my Friend Elaine's Wedding (see earlier post for her photo), she had a Royal Wedding themed Bridal shower.  We enjoyed pimm's cocktails, cucumber sandwiches and fresh blueberry scones.  Later on our trip she took us on an Upland Adventure to the Alii Kula Lavender farm.  I scarfed on a wonderful lavender scone and some lavender tea.  The aromas and views from the lavender farm were amazing and I highly recommend you stop here if you ever get the chance.  There are sweeping views of the moutains and you may even see a para glider, which we were fortunate enough to see.  The protea flowers are something to take note of, not to mention the 55000 lavender plants and 45 varieties.  They grow this all at an elevation of 4000 ft....which maybe why I can never grow lavendar worth a darn.  But I do love the smell off it!

So ever since we came back to the mainland, I dream about those scones and the ocean view we saw from their balcony.  Scones are so delicious.  I never thought much of them, never even tasted one but now I am a believer and I decided to make them for my boyfriend's cousin's morning Christmas party we are attending tomorrow.  I found this recipe in my Barefoot Contessa at Home Cookbook by Ina Garten.  (One of the few food network chefs I adore) The recipe calls for a cup of dried cranberries, but  I had abut a cup of fresh cranberries hanging out in the fridge and I think fresh is always better, don't you?

Recipe:
4 Cups All purpose flour + 1/4 cup
1/4 cup granulted sugar + extra for sprinkling
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp orange zest
3 sticks cold unsalted butter diced
4 eggs beaten
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 c confectioner's sugar
1 small orange juiced

400 degree oven

Mix 4 c flour and sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest in your mixer.  Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed.  In a separate bowl whisk the egg and cream, then slowly add to the dry ingredients until just blended.  In a food processor, pulse the cranberries to a rough chop and add the 1/4 cup of flour to the berries.  Add to mixer till combined.  Dump the dough ball on a well floured board and with your hands roll it out to about a 1" thickness.  I used a mason jar to punch out the biscuits.  If I made these again, I would get the bigger sugar crystals to sprinkle on the top, but I just used the granulated. Bake for 20 minutes.   Mix up the powdered sugar and juice of the orange and drizzle over the scones! Can't wait for these tomorrow morning!  Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for reading my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment